Galaxy S3 owners have long been waiting for the latest Android goodies since the beginning of this year, the promised Android 4.2.2 upgrade that was leaked a while ago didn’t officially make it to general availability but users will nevertheless be offered the last Jelly Bean flavor (Android 4.3).
Samsung has just started to roll out the bits via OTA and KIES according to SamMobile who also notes that Galaxy S3 users in Ireland are already getting the firmware upgrade. The aging Galaxy S4 will now be able to enjoy a refreshed look similar to that of its successor while also benefiting from various tweaks and optimizations at the system level.
The bad news especially is that it’s still using the same old original Galaxy S3 launcher and widgets. Also, Samsung hasn’t implemented Samsung Knox yet, that may be a slight let down especially for enterprise users but we expect Samsung to finalize the changes in the next Android 4.3 firmware builds.
The firmware update is rolling out in select regions for the time being so watch out for update notifications!
Here’s the full changelog:
– GALAXY GEAR Support
– TRIM Support
– ANT+ Support
– Core UI elements updated to the ones on the Galaxy S4 (Galaxy S4′s theme all over)
– New Samsung Keyboard
– GPU drivers have been updated
– New Lockscreen: Multiple Widgets, improved ripple effect than Android 4.1.2, ability to change clock size and set a personal message
– New Screen modes (From S4): Adapt Display and Professional Photo
– Driving mode
– Actionable notifications
– Move-to-SD-card feature
– New Camera mode : Sound and Shot
– New Additions in Notification Centre
– Completely revamped Settings UI
– Implementation of Voice controls commands
– New Samsung Apps: Calculator, Clock, Contacts, Gallery, Music
– Full screen Samsung apps
– New S-Voice