Short after the release of the new generation of the Galaxy Note ‘phablet’, Samsung releases a new version of the Galaxy note S Pen SDK. The update holds the version number 2.2, and brings many new abilities and bug fixes. This information comes from Samsung Developers Twitter profile. Here’s the official tweet:
S Pen SDK 2.2 for #GALAXYNote is provided in 3 lanuguages: EN goo.gl/ZOJVH CN goo.gl/nrHt7 KR goo.gl/Btq2o
— SAMSUNG DEVELOPERS (@samsung_dev) October 8, 2012
Samsung was kind to provide a full list of changes in the new version. Here’s the full changelog, as seen on the website:
- The S Pen’s hovering feature has been improved greatly.
• Hovering-related functions were only available in SCanvasView in the past, but the new SPenEventLibrary class makes
it possible to use the hovering features in normal views.
• To make it easier to set and use hover pointer icons, which are displayed when using the pen, text,
color picker, and color-fill-in tools with SCanvasView, the S Pen SDK 2.2 provides predefined setting values such as the
S Pen SDK Style and S-Note Style, as well as APIs. (Note: Applicable to Note 2 or later.)
• It also allows setting and changing hover pointer icons in normal views through the setSPenHoverIcon method of the
SPenEventLibrary class. (Note: Applicable to Note 2 or later.)
- The S Pen Detachment Listener API has been added.
• The SPenDetachmentListener listener for handling events that occur when the S Pen is detached from or attached to
the device was added. (Note: Applicable to Note 10.1 or later.)
- Drawing-related features have been upgraded.
• In addition to the 4 types of pen brushes (pen, brush, pencil, and highlighter) that were available in the previous Pen
Input Mode, the brush type, “calligraphy brush” has been added, and there are now 5 brush types to choose from.
• A new feature for filling the inside of shape drawn by the user with a specific color picked by the user was added.
The SettingView for choosing the fill color was also added.
- SettingView-related features and UI have been improved.
• A Pen Setting preset feature has been added with support for up to 12 presets.
• An align setting feature was added in the Text SettingView and two new fonts (Chocolate Cookie and Rosemary) have
• A Mini SettingView pop-up window that shows essential features of a SettingView, such as pen/eraser/text/color fill,
in a smaller size has been added.
- Object-related clipboard features have been added.
• Related APIs such as object cut, copy, paste, and clear clipboard have been added so that the user can use the
clipboard after selecting the image objects that have been added to SCanvasView.
- Performance enhancements and stabilization have been improved.
• The file saving speed of the SAMM library has been improved.
• The Pen Only Mode have been added for using only the pen and erasers from the S Pen SDK
(excluding text, image, and fill objects), is now supported.
- Unnecessary and duplicate APIs have been deprecated, and the names of some APIs have been changed.
• Deprecated methods can be used in the previous 2.1 version and the current version, but they will be removed in
- 10 sample apps, which were provided separately for each feature, are now integrated into one sample app.
• The sample app has been changed to one sample app that shows each feature in a list format, and shows a demo of
the feature that the user selects.
- Examples of new features added in version 2.2 have been added to the sample app.
• Examples of changing hover pointers, linking hover and pop-up windows, checking S Pen Events in a normal view,
applying image filters, and color filling have been added.
- Some errors in SDK 2.1 have been corrected in this release.