Sony have taken a rather bold step under heavy persistence from users by releasing a official ROM beta for users to download and submit feedback on that ROM. Having released ICS to 3 other Xperia smartphones, Xperia Play has now finally been given an official, albeit beta, ROM.
Sony are very curious as to how the ROM works on the majority of Xperia Play handsets (you would hardly call Xperia Play a ‘handset’, got so many amazing features akin to a gaming console).
However they do warn downloaders. Check the press release below:
- You should be an advanced developer with extensive knowledge in how to install, and switch between different ROMs. If you are a consumer without these developer skills, then we strongly recommend you do not try this, as you may damage your phone.
- You must be using Xperia PLAY, running the latest Xperia software release (which is 4.0.2.A.0.42). For an ICS beta ROM for Xperia™ Arc S, Xperia™ Neo V and Xperia™ ray, check out the previously released ICS beta ROM for unlocked Xperia smartphones.
- You must unlock your phone using our Unlock boot loader service, and agree to all the legal and warranty conditions that apply. Please note that you may void the warranty of your phone, any warranty from your operator or both if you unlock the boot loader of your phone. Sony Mobile can then no longer guarantee the full functionality of your phone, and will not be responsible for any unusable functions or loss of personal data associated to the beta ROM being flashed to the phone. Please pay special attention to the following legal statement before downloading (the full statement is available on the download link):
“You must acknowledge that the software is provided “as is” without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and to the maximum extent permitted by applicable law.”
- Also, if you unlock the boot loader, you will not be able to download and install the final Ice Cream Sandwich software upgrade for Xperia™ phones. For additional information on limitations and warranty, please see our Unlock boot loader service page.
- You should have read through and acknowledged the limitations of the software described below.
- You must read and accept the end user license agreement on the download link, before you can download the beta ROM zip file.
Please note that the Google Mobile Services (GMS) apps (for example Gmail, Google Maps and Face Unlock) and Wi-Fi™ are not included in the beta release due to that they are still waiting for the certification and type approvalto be finalised.
Download and install
Follow the instructions below to download and install the alpha ROM. Please note that it only works with Xperia™ PLAY.
- Make sure your phone is running the latest software release, which is build number 4.0.2.A.0.42. If you can’t upgrade to this build number, it is not possible to try the Ice Cream Sandwich beta ROM for Xperia phones.
- Go to unlockbootloader.sonymobile.com and unlock the boot loader of your phone. To do this, you must read through and agree to all the legal and warranty conditions that apply.
- Download the Ice Cream Sandwich beta ROM for Xperia PLAY.
- Extract the downloaded zip file to your Android Fastboot directory. For example: ..\android-sdk\fastboot\Xperia_PLAY_ICS_beta.
- Open a command prompt and go to your Fastboot directory: ..\android-sdk\fastboot\
- Flash the three beta ROM files one at a time using Fastboot. Use these three commands:
• fastboot flash boot ..\Fastboot\Xperia_PLAY_ICS_beta\boot.img
• fastboot flash userdata ..\Fastboot\Xperia_PLAY_ICS_beta\userdata.img
• fastboot flash system ..\Fastboot\Xperia_PLAY_ICS_beta\system.img
- Once done, please reboot your phone.