NVIDIA went official with its latest Quad-core (4 cores) processor Tegra3 — addressed to tablets and smartphones.
Kal-El chip will make its appearance in the next couple of months in numerous devices. Asus Eee Pad Transformer Prime is among the first tablets which will be equipped with such a chipset.
“Our next-generation Tegra processor is widely known as the world’s first quad-core mobile chip,” said Nvidia’s Senior Product Manager Matt Wuebbling.
Tegra3 is five times more powerful than Tegra2 and the chipset is based on the ARM Cortex-A9. Said to sport four cores that can run at speeds up to 1.3GHz, actualy it has five cores, one which is “stealth” can be used for simple tasks which doesnt require the use of the main four cores.
The new chipset improves over Tegra2 not only in the processing area but in the video graphics, memory bandwith and audio support.
NVIDIA Quad-Core Tegra 3 Chip Sets New Standards of Mobile Computing Performance, Energy Efficiency
Tegra 3’s fifth ‘companion’ core enables ultra-low power consumption, while advanced quad-core processors drive record-breaking performance
SANTA CLARA, CA — (Marketwire) — 11/08/2011 — NVIDIA today ushered in the era of quad-core mobile computing with the introduction of the NVIDIA® Tegra® 3 processor, bringing PC-class performance levels, better battery life and improved mobile experiences to tablets and phones. The world’s first quad-core tablet with theTegra 3 processor is the ASUS Eee Pad Transformer Prime.
Known previously by the codename “Project Kal-El,” the Tegra 3 processor provides up to 3x the graphics performance of Tegra 2, and up to 61 percent lower power consumption. This translates into an industry-leading 12 hours of battery life for HD video playback.
The Tegra 3 processor implements a new, patent-pending technology known as Variable Symmetric Multiprocessing (vSMP). vSMP includes a fifth CPU “companion,” specifically designed for work requiring little power. The four main cores are specifically designed for work requiring high performance, and generally consume less power than dual-core processors.
During tasks that require less power consumption — like listening to music, playing back video or updating background data — the Tegra 3 processor completely shuts down its four performance-tuned cores and, instead, uses its companion core. For high-performance tasks — like web browsing, multitasking and gaming — the Tegra 3 processor disables the companion.
“NVIDIA’s fifth core is ingenious,” said Nathan Brookwood, Research Fellow at Insight 64. “Tegra 3’s vSMP technology extends the battery life of next-generation mobile devices by using less power when they’re handling undemanding tasks and then ratcheting up performance when it’s really needed.”
The Tegra 3 quad-core CPUs are complemented with a new 12-core NVIDIA GeForce® GPU, which delivers more realism with dynamic lighting, physical effects and high resolution environments, plus support for 3D stereo, giving developers the means to bring the next generation of mobile games to life.
For the millions who play games on mobile devices, the Tegra 3 processor provides an experience comparable to that of a game console. It offers full game-controller support, enabling consumers to play games on their tablet or super phone, or connect to big screen HDTVs for a truly immersive experience. It also leverages NVIDIA’s award-winning 3D Vision technology and automatically converts OpenGL applications to stereo 3D, so consumers can experience 3D on a big screen 3D TV (via HDMI™ 1.4 technology).
The Tegra 3 processor provides the industry’s….
- Fastest applications – with blazing performance for multimedia apps, such as photo and video editing
- Fastest multitasking – for switching between common uses, such as playing music and games, and background tasks
- Fastest, highest-quality gaming – including new Tegra 3 processor-optimized NVIDIATegra Zone™ app games such asShadowgun, Riptide GP, Sprinkle, Big Top THD, Bladeslinger, DaVinci THD and Chidori.
Highlights / Key Facts:
- The Tegra 3 processor redefines power consumption and mobile-computing performance with:
- The world’s first quad-core ARM Cortex A9 CPU
- New patent-pending vSMP technology, including a fifth CPU core that runs at a lower frequency and operates at exceptionally low power
- 12-core GeForce GPU, with 3x the graphics performance of the Tegra 2 processor, including support for stereoscopic 3D
- New video engines with support for 1080p high profile video at 40 Mbps
- Up to 3x higher memory bandwidth
- Up to 2x faster Image Signal Processor
- 40 games are expected to be available by the end of 2011, and over 15 Tegra 3 games are under development for Tegra Zone, NVIDIA’s free Android Market app that showcases the best games optimized for the Tegra processor.
- The Tegra 3 processor is in production. Developers can order the Tegra 3 Developer Kit to create applications for devices with Tegra such as tablets and super phones, atdeveloper.nvidia.com/tegra.
NVIDIA Tegra 3: Developers Bring Next-gen Games to Mobile
NVIDIA Tegra 3: Side by Side Comparisons
NVIDIA Tegra 3: Mobility at the Speed of Life
NVIDIA Tegra 3: Fifth Companion Core