Its been a while since we’ve got word about our good old Google Nexus One. We make an exception today, because the device is receiving an important firmware upgrade to Android 2.3.6 (build number GRK39F).
In order to be eligible for install you need to have firmware build number GRJ22 (2.3.4) and if you are not follow these steps below to get to GRJ22 first.
Installation instructions Note:
If you don’t have GRJ22 (2.3.4), then head over here and install GRJ22 first, then proceed below.
Note: This will may or may not work if you’re rooted. As always, go ahead at your own risk. To download and apply the update to your Nexus One manually, follow the following steps:
1. Download the update file from Google’s servers GRK39F-from-GRJ22 and rename it to update.zip (make sure it’s named update.zip and not update.zip.zip if you’re using Windows and have it set to hide file extensions).
2. Move the file to your SD card’s root using your favorite method –the easiest way is probably mounting the phone as disk using a USB cable.
3. Reboot your phone and when it starts booting back up, hold down the Power and Volume Down buttons.
4. If you see Bootloader, select it.
5. Select Recovery.
6. The phone will reboot into recovery but first it’ll show an exclamation point and a triangle. At this point, mash the Power and Volume Up buttons a few times until the recovery screen shows up.
7. Select Apply sdcard update.zip, which should start the update process.
8. Reboot and enjoy Android 2.3.6.