Samsung hired the Fire Investigations UK to look into the matter of the Galaxy S3 burnout when the issue was first reported. The investigation summary states that the device over-heated under some external source and the heating issue wasn’t related to the device.
“The energy source responsible for generating the heat has been determined as external to the device” and “the device was not responsible for the cause of the fire.”
“The only way it was possible to produce damage similar to the damage recorded within the owner’s damaged device was to place the devices or component parts within a domestic microwave.”
The user who first came up with the issue later apologized on “Boards.ie” and said that he had misinterpreted the situation and that it wasn’t a deliberate act but rather a stupid mistake.