Now here is a device HTC doesn’t really need to succeed with, because its like a phone to replace the ages old Tattoo just to offer a legible choice for the buyer in the lower segment. Lets see what HTC have given it to make it a HTC smartphone.
- Android 2.3 (Gingerbread)
- 600MHz Scorpion CPU, Adreno 200 GPU, Qulacomm MSM7227 chipset
- 320 x 480 pixels, 3.2 inches 180 PPI
- 90 MB storage, 512 MB ROM, 384 MB RAM
- 3.15 MP, 2048×1536 pixels, autofocus
1) The hardware is typical low-end . A Scorpion 600MHz processor is a pleasant surprise but the GPU unit is same Adreno 200 that we see on Galaxy phones of Samsung in this range and so is the Qualcomm chipset.
2) Featuring a 3.2 inch capacitive touchscreen with HVGA resolution is another typical low range asset . It sense light touches and is a typical HTC styled unit . The screen has a PPI 180 which ensures crisp display for the price.below the screen are 4 touch sensitive buttons (typical android) .
3) Android v2.3 is covered in the latest HTC SENSE 3.5 (or sense zero as it is known as) . Which undoubtedly has been a key selling point and though I don’t really like it , it’s a big hit among the audience . It does offer classy looks and very customizable home screen app .
4) The 3.15 MP snapper is again typical low-end and HTC have done nothing really to make it any different but there’s a pleasant surprise in the package . It’s an auto focus unit which will please many . Camera has face detection and geo tagging as well.
5) Internal memory is very extremely disappointing . 90 MB is just not done guys , one NEED FOR SPEED SHIFT installed and BAM you will be left crying for space . Thanks, to gingerbread though you can install apps on SDCARD but still 90MB, now that’s not done .
6) 384 mb of ram are barely enough for the multi taskers but will suffice for a normal user. The apps will run without hiccups and the speed enhancement brought on by GINGERBREAD are sure to play their part as well.
7)The Explorer has all the bases covered when it comes to connectivity front . There is 3G, WiFi, Bluetooth and of course 2G. Explorer can handle SMS , MMS , PUSHMAIL , EMAIL and finally IM.
8) One surprise in the box is the ability to XVID videos , now that is a very rare feature even in some high-end phones . Basically that will save you the trouble of converting most of the video files you want to play and that is a big pain as we all know.
9) The Explorer is available in a variety of colors like Active Black, Active Navy, Metallic Black, Metallic Navy. Its price has been set at a mere Rs 11600 here in INDIA (225 $ when converted to USD) .
As I said HTC don’t need Explorer to succeed but it’s here to fill the price gap and even after that, it managed to impress us and it surely packs a punch. My exploration went very well lets see yours!!!!